Tuesday, September 27, 2011

that I live on Big Henry street

I have a place to live!  Tomorrow I'm moving to the town where I'm teaching.  Today, the French teacher I've been emailing picked me up from my hotel and helped me out with EVERYTHING.  She showed me where I'll be living, helped me open a bank account, took me to the grocery store, showed me where I'll be teaching and introduced me to her coworkers.  I'll be living at a high school on Rue Henri Grand (Big Henry Street?).  I have my own studio, and there are going to be two other language assistants living there.  Supposedly, it has wifi, and it might even have a phone that calls the U.S. for free!  I'll find out tomorrow for sure.  Definitely a crash course in French conversation today.

I've been speaking a lot of French.  So far, I've successfully ordered a SUB 15 sandwich (15 centimeters?) from Subway (I know I'm in France, but it was only 2.90!), gotten insurance for "in case I hurt someone", and kicked a Frenchman out of my rightfully assigned TGV train seat, all in French.  Also, it's been nice meeting some of the other English assistants.

Hmmm.. what else.  Marge Simpson's French voice is pretty funny.  There was a teacher's strike today (already!), and hopefully it won't last too long.  I'm supposed to start doing observation hours on Thursday.  Also, today I learned that part of my contract is to lead a conversation group for the English teachers in town.

So far, pretty much everything has worked out.  It's been really sunny and warm, which I wasn't expecting.  The only bad thing that's happened so far is my Woolite exploded in my suitcase all over some of my clothes, but that's really not such a bad thing.  I'll try to post more tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment