Friday, January 20, 2012

les mots "noire," "blanche," et "ronde"

Time flies!  I followed Resolution #10 and found a place to play piano!  I talked to the music teacher, and he said I can borrow the key from the front desk whenever the music room is free.  I am really excited about this and have already been there twice.

I went to talk to the woman at the front desk to borrow the key, then I went out to run some errand, and when I came back, she goes, "Rebecca, do you teach piano lessons at all?"  Finally figured out she was asking for herself, so I said yes.  She had her first piano lesson today, and I feel like I'm going to learn as much as her with this process.  Today, I already learned that quarter notes are called black notes (noires), half notes are called white notes (blanches), and whole notes are called round notes (rondes).  Also, she had no clue what I was talking about with A, B, C, D, E, F, and G because in France (and Europe?), they use Do, Re, Mi, etc.  Going to be a little hard to get used to.  Anyway, she wants to have lessons twice a week, and she wants to pay me 5 Euros a lesson...Okay! Why not?  I was going to do it for free!

Tonight, I went to a play that my 5th grade class put on.  I went by myself, but soon my 2nd grade fan club was seated next to me, all six of them.  Ha.  Several of the kids tapped their parents on their shoulders and said, "Mom, it's Rebecca!"  Felt like a celebrity.  Also, It was so funny to hear how they reacted to the play.  ("C'est trop bon!"/It's too good!)

Regarding the play... One of the 5th graders in the program mouthed the words of every word that was spoken in the play.  Every word!  He had memorized the entire script!  What else...It seemed like a late show for elementary students.  It started at 8:30 p.m., and there was a 30 minute intermission, so it ended at 10:30 p.m.  I understood about half of what was going on, but it seemed like there were a few jokes that seemed a little mature for their age.. (Scene with a boyfriend/girlfriend: Her: "We've been kissing a lot."  Him: "Yes, we've been kissing so much that our first-born child is probably on the way.")

Because I teach all the kids in that school (grades 1-5), it was fun to make connections and see who are siblings.  Also, the play was really helpful for me because before the play, they showed photos and names of all the kids, and then at the end, each kid said his or her name.  So, now I'm pretty sure I know all of the students' names in that class!

No comments:

Post a Comment