Monday, January 9, 2012

l'expression "pas mal de + noun"

Wow.  I haven't written anything for 41 days!  I'm planning to write a major "catch up" post tomorrow night, but for now, I'll write about an expression I hear all the time and my New Year's resolutions.


First of all, I had never noticed the expression "pas mal de + noun" in French before this year, but I feel like I hear it at least three times a day here.  Translated word by word, it means "not bad of + noun."  Some examples of how it is used...

Tu es allée à la médiathèque de Crest?  Il y a pas mal de DVDs.
(Have you been to the médiathèque in Crest? There’s not a bad selection of DVDs.)

Il y a pas mal de place dans le frigo.
(There’s quite a bit of space in the fridge.)

J’ai apporté  pas mal de choses des Etats-Unis.
(I brought quite a few things from the U.S.)

Now for the resolutions.  I'll do 12 for 2012:
1. Meet more locals.
2. Take more pictures.
3. Visit as many shops/restaurants in Crest as possible and as is interesting, even the ones on the other side of the river! (Let's be honest, I'm probably not going to go to the moto store, and I probably shouldn't eat too many kebabs).
4. Buy something new/different/that I've never seen before at the grocery store every week. (Finally tried Speculoos this week.)
5. Go to the médiathèque more often to check out DVDs, books and music.
6. Go to the big city (Valence) more often.
7. Set aside a few specific hours each week to actually sit down and study French.  (Might sound weird since I'm in France, but I feel like I've hit a language plateau.)
8. Finish my lesson planning for the following week by Thursday afternoon (instead of Sunday night at 11:59 p.m.)
9. Find a tutoring/private English lesson job. (Applied to a job, and waiting to set up an interview).
10. Find a place to practice piano.

All of these resolutions will hopefully lead me to:
11. Write at least three blog posts per week
and
12. Learn more French words and expressions!

As you can see, I have pas mal de New Year's resolutions.

Happy New Year!!
View from my window of the "Christmas Pyromusical" a few weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment