Wednesday, November 2, 2011

that the name of the Ardèche newspaper is "L'Avenir Agricole de l'Ardèche"

Because I made it into the local newspaper!

[Translation:
Erin and Rebecca, Americans, in Ardèche for the school year
Erin and Rebecca are English assistants in the Ardèche school system.  Both enthusiastically discovered the concept of the promotion of local products.  Interviewed in front of the stands of “Tour of flavors,” Erin said “We just tasted horse meat.  It’s the first time, for both of us, that we’ve ever eaten it.  It’s good!  Also, the hot wine, I’d never heard of it!”  At her side, Rebecca, from Chicago, explained that in the U.S., “A trend is developing for local products.” “But, at farmers markets, the price is pretty expensive so people usually go to supermarkets.  Let’s not forget, all of the businesses are open on Sundays, which explains why markets and events like the one today work less well.”]

First of all, I only WISH I spoke French that well!  I think a sign that it's a paraphrased quote is the fact that I had to look up a couple of the phrases that were part of my quote!  I remember saying that I like the markets in France because the produce is cheaper than the supermarket, but in the U.S., farmer's markets tend to be more expensive, so I tend to buy fruits and vegetables at the grocery store.  I don't remember saying anything about businesses being open on Sundays, and I definitely didn't say "une légère tendance developpe aussi..."  Erin, the other assistant pictured here, said that the reporter left out the part where she said it was weird to be petting a horse across the street and then eating it.  But, anyway, I'm still happy I made the local paper!

I think the more interesting story here is that the two of us went to the same high school, and ended up teaching English in French towns 40 minutes from each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment