Thursday, March 15, 2012

la phrase "une grosse demi-heure"

Literally, it means "a fat half-hour," but probably a better translation is "a good thirty minutes."  I got my hair cut yesterday at the same salon I went to back in December.  It's a salon "sans rendez-vous," so you just walk in, and they tell you that's it's better to wait there or you will lose your place in the line.  There were two women working there this time instead of just one, but they were both cutting people's hair, so I asked how long I would have to wait.  That's when she said "une grosse demi-heure."  Later, when I was getting my haircut, a customer came in and asked how long the wait was.  The woman cutting my hair thought about it for awhile and then said, "une grosse demi-heure."  It reminded me of the 30 Rock episode where Matt Damon (the pilot) tells Liz Lemon that if there is a delay, flight attendants always tell passengers it will be a 30-minute delay because it doesn't sound too long.  Or something like that.

Anyway, the same woman who cut my hair last time cut my hair yesterday.  Of course I remembered her, but I was really surprised when I sat down and she was like, "Oh, you came back to France.  How were the holidays?  Did your family enjoy all of the chestnut things you brought back?"

I was really surprised she remembered all of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment