Sunday, March 11, 2012

le mot "buvette"

This past weekend was really fun... full of things to do in Crest!  On Thursday, I went to a one-man comedy show called "Le Beurgeois Gentilhomme," is a mix between Molière's "Bourgeis Gentilhomme" and the word "beur," which is slang for "Arab."  Anyway!  It was pretty good.  Well, honestly I didn't understand very much of it, but I did understand the following two jokes.

One, he was talking about one time when he was at the ocean.  He put a shell to his ear, and he said "I heard ma mère," instead of "la mer."  So, he heard his mother instead of the ocean.

Two, he was talking about how confusing recipes can be (I think?), and he said he used "l'huile de Rachid," instead of "l'huile d'arachide."  So, his friend Rachid's oil instead of peanut oil.  Even though I didn't understand most of it, it was fun, and the audience seemed to enjoy it.

On Friday, there was a Concert for Tanzania in Crest.  It ended up being mostly for the high school students, and I felt like a chaperone, and I ran into one of my teachers there and in my opinion it seemed like she was wondering why I was there, BUT it was fun, too.  The high school band at the end played covers of Franz Ferdinand and the Pixies (and sang in English!), and they did a really good job.  It cost 3 Euros to get in, and included "buvette sur place," which must mean "concessions stand."

For International Women's Day on Thursday, March 8, the Crest Office of Tourism gave out 100 Euro gift certificates to the 20th, 40th, 60th and 80th women who visited the office that day.  My friend won!  She had some leftover money to use by the end of the day on Saturday, so she took us out for coffee/pastries on Saturday morning.  I tried my luck on Thursday, but did not win.  They gave out lollipops shaped like flowers to everyone who tried, ha.

The Spanish assistant's friend came to visit this weekend, and she brought her raclette appliance (?).  You put a slice of raclette cheese in the little trays and put them in the appliance.  Once the cheese is melted, you put it on potatoes and/or meat.  Popular in the Rhone-Alpes region.

Raclette!

That night, we went to Valence for a Spanish Cinema night.  You could pay 10 Euros for tapas and one movie, or 15 Euros for tapas and two movies.  We opted for the 10 Euro deal, had tapas, then saw the movie Amador.

No comments:

Post a Comment