Friday, October 21, 2011

le mot "boîte de nuit"

I recently learned the term "boîte de nuit," which means nightclub.  Today, I stopped by H&M.  I was looking around, and a mom and a teenage daughter walked by.  The mom pointed at some of the clothing and said, "Je ne l'aime pas trop.  C'est trop boîte de nuit."  (That's too nightclubby).

Went to a restaurant in town tonight that was highly recommended by one of the teachers here.  It just so happens to be across the street from where I live.  I went with the three other language assistants here.  When you open the menu there are three pages of different types of "Criques."  None of us new what that was, but we asked the waiter, and then everyone understood it except me.  Ha.  The waiter said it was a galette/crepe with potatoes plus the ingredients that you choose.  I almost chose the Lily (ham, pineapple and cheese), but instead opted for the Polo (ratatouille and an egg).  The other assistants chose the Oliver Twist and the Croquette.

So, it turns out, a "crique" is hashbrowns with whatever ingredients you chose on top of it.  There are about 50 variations on this theme, and it was good!  I will probably be back..... as it is across the street.

My next project is to get access to French TV (that works).  There's a TV in the shared kitchen.  The DVD player works, but the TV doesn't pick up any channels.  Honestly, I was looking forward to watching French TV... I feel like it would be a good way to pick up common conversation words.  Will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment